A wedding licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be married in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be found from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative problems a 2-part document. The top component is a Registration of Marriage in addition to bottom level may be the wedding licence.
The document that is fullenrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) needs to be directed at the wedding officiant which is doing your wedding. This is certainly a document that is legal should be kept in good shape and never folded as it’s forever archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or notices in a church) are not appropriate instead of a wedding licence.
There are not any citizenship or residency needs.
There isn’t any right time frame that have to pass involving the date a couple comes in Alberta additionally the date a married relationship licence is released.
Blood tests are not essential.
A married relationship licence is valid for three months through the date it really is given.
A marriage can take position the same time a marriage licence is granted. There isn’t any waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is just valid for the Alberta marriage. The marriage has to take destination in Alberta.
If you’re presently hitched, you simply can’t submit an application for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever obtaining the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may apply, seek the advice of a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal, and the total names and birth places of the moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply can’t:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically reduced
- Either individual getting hitched is an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship order
The two of you must certanly be 18 yrs. Old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Seek advice from a registry representative for full details.
If you’re more youthful than 16 years of age, you can’t marry in Alberta.
If one of this few would not have appropriate ID, that person may possibly provide their delivery certification or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You simply cannot be currently hitched (either to each other or somebody else).
Your marital that is legal status be among the following:
- Evidence of divorce or separation becomes necessary; the divorce or separation document supplied ought to be the document that is finalas an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce or separation document that claims a wedding is dissolved in X length of time just isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or the divorce or separation ended up being contested through that time.
- Divorce or separation documents that aren’t in English should be translated; talk to a registry representative for interpretation needs.
- A death certification of this dead partner is not necessary.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be issued by way of a court, the individuals marital status reverts returning to just just just what it had been before that annulled wedding took destination. The prior status that is marital need to be proven. As an example:
- Once the marital status before the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce proceedings must certanly be provided along with a duplicate of this court ordered annulment
- As soon as the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
Whenever a married relationship ended up being annulled, a duplicate of this court ordered annulment should be supplied. Spiritual and annulments that are tribunal perhaps maybe perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English should be translated. Talk to mail order brides a registry agent for interpretation demands.
Whenever getting a wedding licence, both regarding the people that will be engaged and getting married should be proficient in English (since legal papers are increasingly being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter becomes necessary, it’s your duty to supply one.
The interpreter needs to be:
- 18 yrs. Old or older
- Proficient both in English plus the language requiring translation
Once the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient within the other language, then that registry representative worker might end up being the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There clearly was a $40 federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution charge. Service charges differ among registry agents.
Just how to apply
Step 1. Make certain you meet the criteria to utilize for a married relationship licence
The wedding must certanly be place that is taking Alberta over the following a couple of months.
Before using, make sure you along with your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your write-ups
Bring your appropriate ID to you to have the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for instance divorce proceedings papers. Contact a registry representative, they are able to verify exactly what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Visit a registry representative along with your intended spouse, acceptable ID and papers, thereby applying for a married relationship licence.
Once you use
A wedding licence is given as you wait.
If you fail to have all of the given information and papers required, the procedure will likely be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence into the ceremony and provide it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony happens, mistakes is corrected with a registry agent.
Following the ceremony happens, mistakes needs to be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information which was supplied once the wedding licence had been granted.
Relate to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
For the deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5